Eggs Nested in Sauteed Chard and Mushroom
0 made it | 0 reviews | 0 photos
Meal for one? Dig in!
Original recipe here.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 400 g of fresh chard
- 2-3 large shiitake mushrooms, sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 eggs
1. Prep the chard: Cut out the thick, tough center ribs of the chard leaves. Chop the ribs into 1/2 inch pieces and place in a bowl.
2. Add the chopped onions and mushrooms to the bowl.
3. Cut the remaining chard leaves crosswise into 1-inch ribbons, set aside.
4. Sauté chard ribs, onions, mushrooms: Heat the olive oil in a large, stick-free sauté pan (with cover) on medium high heat. Add the onions, chard ribs, and mushrooms.
5. Sauté for about 4 to 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms are a little brown on the edges and have started to give up their moisture.
6. Add the sliced chard leaves, season with salt and pepper: Add the green sliced chard leaves to the sauté pan. Use tongs to turn the leaves over in the pan so that the leaves get coated with some of the olive oil and the onions and mushrooms are well mixed in with the leaves. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
7. Add the eggs: Spread the mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan. Crack one or two fresh eggs in the center of the pan, over the chard mushroom mixture. Cook uncovered until the bottom whites are well set. Then lower the heat to medium and cover the pan. Cook for another minute or two.
8. When the whites are cooked, remove the pan from the heat and use a spatula to gently transfer the eggs and chard to a plate to serve.
9. Serve immediately. Cut into the egg yolks so that the runny yolks run over the chard and mushrooms and form something of a sauce.
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?