Little delicious bites, perfect for dinner parties.
Original recipe here.
For the sauce
- Cup tinned tomatoes (250 g)
- A pinch of salt
- 1/4 Cup grated Parmesan (40 g)
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1/4 Cup fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
For the Mozzarella Balls
- 20 Mini Mozzarella Balls
- 5 Tbsp Plain Flour
- 1 Cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 3 Tbsp dried oregano
- 2 Small-medium eggs
- Oil for Frying (about 2-3 cups)
1. Drain and pat dry mozzarella balls. Place flour in one bowl, breadcrumbs mixed with oregano (or marjoram) in other one. Using a fork beat the eggs in a small bowl.
2. Throw about 10 mozzarella balls in the flour and coat evenly. Shake off the excess flour. Now dip each one in the beaten egg. Take out the ball and coat each in the breadcrumb mix. To make sure the mozzarella cheese won’t leak out when frying, cover again in egg and in breadcrumbs.
3. Freeze the balls for 15 minutes before frying.
4. Meanwhile: In a small sauce pan bring tomatoes & minced garlic to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add some water if too thick. Stir in finely chopped parsley and grated Parmesan cheese. Simmer for a further minute. Remove from the heat & let it cool a bit. Taste it and add salt, if needed.
5. Heat up oil in a small saucepan. Slowly drop the balls in the oil. Fry 1-2 minutes per batch. I usually do this in 2 batches.
6. Transfer on a kitchen paper towel to get rid of the excess oil.
7. Serve with homemade tomato dip.