A gourmet grilled sandwich an attitude.
Original recipe by Hannah Lewry in collaboration with Woolworths.
For the béchamel sauce:
- 3 cups milk
- ½ onion
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs, plus extra for serving
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 peppercorns
- 30 g butter
- 30 g flour
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the sandwich:
- 1 loaf farmhouse-style bread, thickly sliced
- 200 g Gruberg cheese, thickly sliced
- 3 Tsp olive oil
- 200 g Royal Ashton cheese, thickly sliced
- 8 slices gypsy ham
1. To make the béchamel sauce, scald the milk in a saucepan along with the onion, thyme, bay leaf and peppercorns for 3–5 minutes until it starts to simmer. Remove from the heat, strain and set aside.
2. In a clean saucepan, combine the butter and flour, and cook for 2 minutes, then add the flavoured milk, a splash at a time, whisking continually. Once the sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, remove it from the heat and season.
3. Place a griddle pan over a high heat, brush the bread with olive oil, then chargrill the bread for 1 minute on each side.
4. Preheat the oven grill. Layer slices of both cheeses and the ham over half of the slices of bread, place on a baking tray and grill. Once the cheese bubbles, remove the tray from the oven and spoon approximately 1 T béchamel sauce over each slice. Season and sprinkle over the thyme, then grill again until golden brown and bubbling.
5. Top each slice with the remaining toast and serve immediately.