Perfect for lunches, especially for the kids at home.
Original recipe here.
- 1 clove garlic , crushed
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese (I used reduced-fat)
- 1/4 cup frozen chopped spinach , thawed
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Sea salt and cracked pepper , to taste
- Dried Italian mixed herbs , to taste (Oregano and basil mix)
- 1/4 cup grated light mozzarella cheese (or fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced)
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon butter (light or reduced-fat spread)
- 1/2 cup of your favourite pasta sauce (Passata or Tomato Sauce for U.S readers)
1. In a medium sized pan/skillet, fry the garlic in a small amount of olive oil (or cooking oil spray), until just fragrant (about 30-60 seconds) over medium-high heat. Remove from heat; add the garlic to a small bowl; set pan/skillet aside.
2. Add the ricotta cheese, spinach, parmesan cheese, salt/pepper and Italian herbs to the pan-fried garlic and mix until well combined.
3. Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter. Divide the ricotta mixture in half and spread it on the un-buttered sides of two slices of bread; divide the mozzarella cheese in half and add it over the ricotta mixture; top with remaining bread - buttered side up (to create a sandwich).
4. Return the pan/skillet to the stove over medium heat and place the sandwiches in the pan. Cook, turning once, until the cheese has melted and both sides are golden brown.(about 3-4 minutes per side).
5. Sprinkle with extra Italian herbs and serve with the pasta sauce (optional)