Green Beans with Caramelized Onion and Almonds
0 made it | 0 reviews | 0 photos
Looking for some texture to add to your dinner table? Then look no further.
Original recipe here.
- Kosher salt
- 3 pounds green beans, trimmed of stem end
- 1/2 cup skin on sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Fill a large high sided skillet with some water, adding enough to be just shy of the rim of the pan by about 1 inch. Place over high heat and bring up to boil; add a big pinch of salt and the green beans. Cook for about 5 minutes, the beans should still be crisp. Drain the beans and then run them under some cold water to stop them from cooking. Reserve the beans while you start the onions.
2. Return the skillet you cooked the beans in to the cook top over medium heat. Add the almonds and toast stirring every now and then until golden, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the almonds from the skillet and reserve. Return the skillet to the heat and add the butter and olive oil and heat until the butter has melted. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook stirring frequently until the onions caramelize, 20 to 25 minutes. Add the thyme, and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the cooked cooled green beans and almonds, and stir well to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?