Grilled Eggplant with Garlic-Cumin Vinaigrette, Feta & Herbs
0 made it | 0 reviews | 0 photos
A colourful dish, bursting with yumminess.
Original Recipe here.
For the vinaigrette:
- 1 small clove garlic
- Kosher salt
- 1-1/2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 small shallot, very finely diced
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seed, lightly toasted and pounded in a mortar or ground in a spice grinder
- Pinch cayenne; more to taste
For the eggplant:
- 1 large globe eggplant (about 1 lb.), trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil; more as needed
- Kosher salt.
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 2 Tbs. coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 2 Tbs. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
Make the vinaigrette:
1. With a mortar and pestle, pound the garlic and a pinch of salt to a paste, or mince the garlic, sprinkle with salt, and mash into a paste with the side of a chef’s knife.
2. Combine the garlic paste and 1 Tbs. of the lemon juice in a small bowl and let sit for 10 minutes. Combine the shallot with the remaining 1/2 Tbs. lemon juice and a pinch of salt in another small bowl and let sit for 10 minutes. Whisk the olive oil, cumin, and cayenne into the garlic mixture. Season to taste with salt or cayenne, if necessary.
Grill the eggplant:
1. Prepare a medium-high charcoal or gas grill fire. Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with olive oil and season with salt. Grill (covered on a gas grill; uncovered on a charcoal grill) until golden-brown grill marks form, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the eggplant and grill until tender and well marked on the second sides, 3 to 4 minutes more. The interior should be grayish and soft rather than white and hard.
2. Top grilled eggplant slices with the shallots, feta, and herbs. Whisk the vinaigrette and drizzle it on top. Serve immediately.
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?