A taste of India.
Original recipe here.
For Onion Paste
- 3/4 to 1 cup chopped onions - 100 g or 2 medium onions
- 1 tsp chopper ginger
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
For Tomato Puree
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 200 to 250 g button mushrooms
- 4 tbsp Curd - whisked till smooth
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 small indian bay leaves
- 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 1 black cardamom, optional
- 2 green cardamoms
- 3 cloves
- 1 single strand on mace, optional
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 3/4 cup water and 1/3 cup water for Instant Pot, add as needed.
- salt as required
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves, crushed
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1. Rinse or wipe dry the mushrooms. Slice off a part of the base stalk. Then slice or chop them. Set aside.
2. In a grinder or blender, take the chopped onions, ginger and garlic. Grind to a smooth paste without adding any water.
3. Remove this paste with a spoon or spatula in a bowl and set aside.
4. In the same jar, add the chopped tomatoes and make a smooth puree. No need to blanch tomatoes before pureeing. Set the tomato puree aside.
5. In a small bowl, whisk curd (yogurt) until smooth and set aside.
Sauteing Onion and Tomato Paste
1. Heat oil in a pan and add the following whole spices – cumin seeds, tejpatta, cinnamon, black cardamom, green cardamoms, cloves and a single strand of mace.
2. Fry the spices for a few seconds until they become aromatic and splutter.
3. Lower the heat and add the ground onion-ginger-garlic paste.
4. Mix the paste with the oil. If the paste splutters then cover the pan with a lid allowing for some space for the steam to pass.
5. On a low to medium heat stirring often continue to sauté until the onion paste starts thickening.
6. Stir and sauté until the paste becomes golden. This sautéing of onion paste takes some time. So to quicken the process add a pinch of salt.
7. Now add the tomato puree. Stir. Then add the spice powders – turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder.
8. Mix well and sauté until you see oil releasing from the sides of the masala.
Making Mushroom Masala
1. Add the sliced or chopped white button mushrooms.
2. Add the beaten curd (yogurt). As soon as you add yogurt, mix thoroughly and quickly.
3. Simmer on a low to medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Then add water.
5. Season with salt. Mix very well.
6. Cover the pan with a lid. On a low to medium heat simmer the mushroom masala for 18 to 20 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender.
7. Lastly add dried fenugreek leaves (crushed), garam masala powder and chopped coriander leaves. Mix again. At this step you can add 1 to 2 tablespoons of heavy cream for a rich tasting curry.
8. Serve mushroom masala hot or warm.
Instant Pot Method
1. Use the sauté function of your IP at normal mode. Add the oil in the steel insert and let it get hot.
2. Add the whole spices and let them splutter.Add onion paste and sauté stirring non-stop until the onion paste turns golden.
3. Add the tomato puree, ground spices and combine well. Sauté until the masala paste becomes glossy, thickens and you see oil releasing from the sides.
4. Add in the chopped mushrooms and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Press the cancel button.
5. Add the curd (yogurt). Mix thoroughly and quickly.
6. Add ⅓ cup water and salt. Mix and deglaze.
7. Pressure cook on high for 3 minutes.
8. Then do a quick pressure release after 3 minutes.
9. Sprinkle dried fenugreek leaves, garam masala powder and coriander leaves. Mix and serve hot.