Healthy, textured salad that is great as a side or on its own.
Original recipe here.
- 1 Small rotisserie chicken
- 100 g Pearl barley
- 200 g Green beans, trimmed
- 1 Yellow pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 1 Small red onion, cut into thin half-moon slice
- 50 g Flaked almonds, toasted
- Zest 1 lemon
- Handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
For the dressing:
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 5 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tsp smoked paprika
1. Remove the skin from the chicken and shred the meat off the bones into bite-size pieces. Cook the pearl barley in boiling, salted water until tender, but not too soft, about 20 min. Drain well, then tip into a large bowl.
2. Blanch the green beans in more boiling, salted water for about 5 mins, until just cooked. Drain, rinse with cold water to cool, then par dry with kitchen paper. Add to the barely along with pepper, onion, almonds, lemon zest and parsley.
3. Whisk together the dressing ingredients with seasoning. Pour over the salad, toss everything together and serve.