A 100% vegan creamy potato bake filled with rich flavour.
Original recipe here.
For the Potatoes & Veggies
- 750 g peeled potatoes
- 200 g Zucchini
- 200 g Mushroom
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
Creamy Cashew Sauce
- 1 Cup cashews, soaked in hot water for 20 min
- 1 Cup vegetable broth
- 1 Cup non-dairy milk or water
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- Pepper to taste
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 4 Tbsp Vegan Cheese
- Fresh chives
- Pine nuts
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees and greas a baking dish with a little oil.
Prepare the veggies:
1. Thinly slice zucchini and very thicly slice potatoes.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add onion and mushroon and fry for 4-5 min, until lightly browned. Add garlic and cook for another minute while stirring and set aside.
Make the Cashew Sauce
1. Drain and rinse the cashews. Put them into a blender along with non-dairy milk, vegetable broth, salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast. Blend for a few minutes until smooth.
Assemble the Gratin and bake
1. Heat up the cashew sauce in a pot.
2. Spread half of the sliced potatoes and zucchini in the baking dish. Top evenly with half of the cashew sauce, then spread over the onions, garlic and mushrooms. Layer the rest of the potatoes and zucchini, then the rest of the mushrooms and sauce.
3. Bake the potato bake for about 50 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender and soft.
4. Optionally, sprinkle vegan cheese over a few minutes before done and continue baking until melted, about 5 - 10 minutes.
5. Garnish with chopped chives and toasted pine nuts or other toppings you like.