Paint the dinner plate red.
Original recipe here.
- 3 beets, cut into quarters
- 1 small sweet onion, cut into quarters
- 1 head garlic, cloves peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 450 g dry fettuccine pasta
- 1 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese, or to taste
- 1 pinch chopped fresh thyme, or to taste
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees
2. Combine beet, onion and garlic cloves in a bowl. Add olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Transfer to a baking sheet.
3. Roast in the preheated oven until cooked through and tender, about 1 hr.
4. Remove from the oven and let cool until beets can be handled, 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Transfer mixture to a food processor. Add vegetable broth and lemon juice; pulse until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan.
6. Stir heavy cream into the beet mixture in the saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until it begins to simmer, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese until melted. Set aside.
7. Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil. Cook fettuccine at a boil until tender yet firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain and return to the pot. Pour beet sauce over pasta and toss until combined. Top with 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese and a pinch of additional thyme.