10 Step Meat-Free Meal for 2
- 1 Medium butternut
- 3/4 Cup black rice (can sub with quinoa)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 250g button mushrooms, cleaned and roughly chopped
- 3-4 packed cups baby spinach
- 100g feta
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
-1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or hard Italian cheese)
- 1/3 cup nuts and seeds, chopped (and lightly toasted, if desired)
-3 tablespoons dried cranberries
1. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees
2. Cut the butternut in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Bake on a foil-lined baking tray for 40-50min, until tender
3. Cook the black rice according to package instructions.
4. While the rice is cooking, heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until they are softened and have given up their moisture, about 6-8 min. Stir in the garlic and spinach for 1-2 min, just until leaves are wilted. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg and stir to combine.
5. Combine the rice and veggie mix and feta cheese. Mix and season to taste with extra salt and pepper.
6. Once the butternut is cooked, let cool for a few minutes and the scoop out the inside section of the butternut flesh, leaving a 1,5 cm border all the way around.
7. Drizzle butternut with remaining tsp olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
8. Fill each butternut with the black rice and veggie mix, mounding it up a bit on each one.#
9. Return the stuffed butternut to the oven and bake for 10min, until everything is warmed through.
10. Top each butternut half with the dried cranberries, walnuts and Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.