We got this amazing recipe from from Taste.com.
-1/4 cup olive oil
-1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g lean beef mince
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup basil leaves, torn
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 1cm rounds
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 250g dried lasagne pasta sheets
- 120g baby spinach leaves, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until softened. Add mince and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 3 minutes or until browned. Add tomatoes and salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in basil.
2. Preheat a chargrill or barbecue to medium high. Brush eggplant with remaining oil and season with salt and pepper. Chargrill for 3 to 4 minutes each side or until golden. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Set aside.
3. Spoon a third of the mince mixture into an 8-cup capacity baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. To with half the eggplant and cover with pasta. Repeat layers. Top with remaining mince and cheese. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until pasta is tender and cheese is golden. Serve with spinach leaves.