Easy peasy caprese! The best way to start a weekend morning.
Original recipe here.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup mixed chopped fresh basil, oregano and chives
- Toasted sliced pane pugliese or ciabatta
1. Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes have softened and released their juices, about 5 minutes.
2. Use a spoon to make 4 wells in the tomato mixture and crack an egg into each. Cover pan and cook until whites are firm and yolks are just starting to set, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and cover again to melt cheese slightly, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with herbs and serve with toast.