Kick start your morning with this tasty treat.
Original recipe here.
- 2 Slices hearty sandwich bread, such as peasant bread, sourdough, whole
- Wheat, or multi-grain
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 Large roasted red pepper, patted dry and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- Chopped fresh chives or parsley, for garnish
1. Cut a hole in the middle of each bread slice using a 2-inch round cutter or the rim of a small glass.
2. Melt the butter in a large cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Swirl the pan as the butter melts to evenly coat the surface. The pan is ready when the butter begins sizzling. Add the red pepper, garlic, a pinch of salt, and several grinds of black pepper. Cook until fragrant and warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Push the pepper mixture to one side. Place the bread slices on the other side and cook until toasted and golden-brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Flip the bread slices. Crack an egg into each hole and season with a pinch of salt and several grinds of black pepper. Cover and cook until the eggs are just set and other side of the bread is golden-brown, 2 to 3 minutes more.
5. Transfer the pepper mixture onto each egg-in-a-hole. Transfer to plates, garnish with the chives or parsley, if using, and serve.
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?