When life gives you a handful of fresh basil, make pesto! Basil is one of our favourite summer herbs, and it pairs beautifully in savoury pastas and salads, as well as with fresh fruit! Give this basil pesto recipe a try!
- 40-60g fresh basil (can also add rocket, watercress, spinach, etc)
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds (or any nuts & seeds - pecans, almonds, pumpkin seeds, etc)
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1-2 tbsp parmesan, or other hard cheese
- drizzle with honey, to taste (optional)
- salt & pepper, to taste
See these quantities as a guideline only, and adjust based on what you like, and what you have available!
1. Combine pesto ingredients in a food processor, and pulse until nicely combinbed.
2. Give it a taste, and adjust flavours to your liking.
3. Stir through cooked pasta, spread on sarmies or layer with tomato, cheese and fresh basil for a tasty salad!
Store in the fridge for up to a week.