You can't beet this flavour.
Original recipe here.
- 8 beetroots (tennis ball-sized; fresh)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
1. Heat the oven to 200 C.
2. Carefully wash the fresh beetroots under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Cut away the leaves, making sure to leave at least 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) of the stalk, preferably a tiny bit more. Do not cut off the roots. As you work, take care not to break the skin. If you do, they will still taste good but will lose some flavor.
3. Place the beet in a large, roomy roasting pan and drizzle with the olive oil. Roll the beetroots in the oil to make sure they are well covered. Sprinkle with sea salt and thyme.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until the beets are soft but not shrunken. Remove the pan from the oven and leave the beets to cool.
5. Once cooled, rub the skin away with a paper towel; it should peel easily. If desired, wear a pair of rubber gloves when you do this to prevent your hands from turning red. Cut off the roots and stalks.
6. Chop the beetroots or leave whole. Add a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle more salt and thyme if you like. Serve and enjoy.