Sweet, sticky red onions with thyme. A comforting side dish, or a tasty breakfast - add a fried egg and toast!
- 2-4 red onions
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme (or 2 tsp dried thyme)
- a few knobs butter
- Olive oil
- salt & pepper
- two handfuls of soft leafy greens (baby spinach, spinach, swiss chard)
1.Put a frying pan on low-medium heat. Add the butter and a few glugs of olive oil.
2. Peel and thinly slice the onions. Add to the pan.
3. Remove the thyme leaves from the stalk, and add to the pan. Add some salt & pepper.
4. Allow to cook slowly for 10-15 minutes, or until the onions have started to caramelise. Add more butter or olive oil if needed.
5. Roughly chop your leafy greens and add to the pan (remember to remove the stalks from bigger leaves). Cook until wilted and soft.
6. Serve as a side dish, or with eggs on toast!