A delicious salad to warm up your tummy.
Original recipe here.
- 1 Cup walnuts
- 2 Tbsps unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 Red cabbage, cut into 1-inch pieces. (4Cups)
- 2 Tbps red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 Tsps chopped thyme
- 1/2 Cup water
- 2 Cups thyme-scented pearled barley
- 450 g Ricotta salata cheese, crumbed
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the walnuts in a pie plate and toast for 12 min, until golden. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
2. In a large skillet, melt the butter in the oil. Add the onion and cook over high heat, stirring, until softened, 4 minutes. Add the cabbage and vinegar, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is barely wilted, 6 minutes. Add the thyme and the water, cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender and the water has evaporated, 20 minutes. Stir in the thyme-scented pearled barely, ricotta salata and toasted walnuts.
3. Transfer to a bowl and serve.