This one is for the adults. Bring on the summer!
Original recipe here.
- 2 Tbs cold coffee (or milk if you don't have it)
- 2 Tbs cornstarch
- 1 Cup milk (skim is actually fine)
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbs molasses
- 1/4 sugar
- 1 Pinch salt
- 1 Vanilla bean, split or 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Piece cinnamon stick
- 1/2 Cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1.5 Cups butternut squash puree (fresh is great, but you can also used canned or babyfood!)
- 3 Tbs pumpkin spice powder
- 4 Tbs bourbon
- 1 Cup heavy cream
1. Whisk together the 2 tablespoons of cold coffee (or milk) with the cornstarch to make a slurry and set aside.
2. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, heat up the milk, brown sugar, molasses, sugar, salt over a medium flame until it begins to simmer. Ladle a spoonful into the coffee/cornstarch slurry and whisk vigorously. Then add that mixture to the hot pan and whisk away on low heat until it thickens. Should take about 5 minutes.
3. Add the butternut squash puree, all of the spices and the condensed milk. If you don't have a vanilla bean, just use a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Stir until everything is well combined and remove from heat.
4. Place plastic wrap directly on top of the mixture (prevents skin from forming) and place in the fridge to cool (overnight is preferable).
5. The next day, put the butternut squash mixture in a blender and add cold heavy cream and the bourbon. Blend until completely smooth.
6. Process in an ice-cream maker according to its directions. This should be ready in about 10-15 minutes depending on your ice-cream maker. Add in some of the mixers described above in the last few minutes of churning and enjoy immediately (soft serve) or let ripen in the freezer for an hour or two. Because of the bourbon, the ice-cream will not get super-hard - not even after a day in the freezer! However, it probably won't last that long.