Perfect for Sunday dessert or for a dinner party.
Original recipe here.
- 5 cups gooseberries, cleaned of debris and tough ends removed (top and tail), about 800 g
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest or orange zest
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice or orange juice
- 1.5 Tbsp cornstarch
- Baking spray or butter
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 Tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 1/3 cup cold unsalted butter, shredded or cubed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease a 9 to 10-inch round baking dish (or similarly sized baking dish) with baking spray or butter and lay to one side.
3. In a bowl, toss gooseberries with sugar, zest, juice and cornstarch, stirring to combine. Pour into prepared dish. Lay to one side.
4. To make crumble, in a bowl add flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt stirring to combine. Add cold butter.
5. Use a pastry cutter (or two knives) cut butter into flour mixture until you have coarse crumbles and some buttery clumps.
6. Sprinkle crumble over gooseberries and bake 50 minutes or until bubbly and the top is golden brown and crispy.
7. Carefully remove and allow to cool 30 minutes or so before digging in. This allows the crumble to set up and cool down.
8. Enjoy a piece as is or with ice-cream. Drizzle gooseberry juices/syrup over top for an extra punch of flavour!
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?